Next to banana bread, zucchini bread is one of the easiest and most popular kinds of homemade bread. It’s a great way to transform leftover zucchini into a tasty and healthy snack.
Are you looking for ideas on what flavors and textures go well with zucchini bread? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Check out our list of 6 amazing zucchini bread toppings that you can try at home!
You can choose from a variety of flavorful glazes and frostings to pour over your zucchini bread. Sprinkling crumb toppings or streusel on your snack can add an extra crunch.
Customizing your dish using other yummy toppings, such as spices, nuts, or dried fruits, is also a great idea.
The following toppings are quick, simple, and easy to prepare. What’s more, they all use ingredients that are commonly found in your kitchen.
Let’s start with everybody’s favorite topping: chocolate chips! This add-on will transform your everyday zucchini bread into a dessert for special occasions.
If you’re not a fan of chocolate chips, you can swap them out for Nutella or peanut butter instead.
- 1 tbsp. of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of old-fashioned or quick oats
- 2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cold unsalted butter
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats together in one bowl.
- Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut in the cold butter.
- Keep mixing the streusel until it turns into coarse crumbs.
- Add and stir in your chocolate chips. Set the mixture aside.
- Bake your zucchini bread for 20 minutes before taking it out of the oven. Sprinkle your streusel mixture on top.
- Gently press your streusel into the loaf using the back part of a spoon.
- Return your bread to the oven and continue to bake as normal. You’ll know your bread is done when an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
You don’t have to wait for fall to enjoy this yummy topping!
This recipe combines the sweet flavor of zucchini with the creamy taste of pumpkin. It’ll surely be an interesting journey for your taste buds.
- 1 tbsp. of pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp. of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Raisins (optional)
- Dried cranberries (optional)
- Melted dark chocolate (optional)
- Combine the pumpkin pie spice, melted butter, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour in a bowl. Mix until the mixture turns into coarse crumbs.
- If you want, you can add pumpkin seeds for an added crunch, or raisins and dried cranberries for an extra tangy taste.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the zucchini bread batter before baking.
- Once the zucchini bread is done and cooled, you may drizzle some melted dark chocolate over it for added sweetness
A flavorful glaze plus nuts, raisins, or dried fruit of your choice is the formula for a phenomenal zucchini bread topping.
Pour this glaze on your zucchini bread to give it a sweet and syrupy twist. It’s best paired with candied walnuts for additional texture and crunch.
- 1/4 cup of Maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. of salted butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Candied walnuts (optional)
- Combine butter and Maple syrup in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in your powdered sugar and remove from the heat when done.
- Pour the mixture on top of your zucchini bread and add candied walnuts if desired.
Do you want to make your zucchini bread extra refreshing? Try adding a burst of lemon and dried fruit to it with this recipe!
The citrus taste of lemon juice will definitely enhance the summery vibe of your zucchini bread.
- 3 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Small pieces of dried fruit (optional)
- Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture turns smooth.
- Wait for the bread to cool before pouring the glaze on top.
- For more fruity goodness, add small pieces of dried fruit of your choice!
Note: This glaze recipe can accommodate up to two loaves of zucchini bread.
A simple sugar glaze with raisins won’t steal the show from your zucchini bread. Impress your guests with this light, milky, and classic addition to an already tasty treat.
- 3 tbsp. of milk
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Raisins (optional)
- Mix the milk and powdered sugar thoroughly. You can add more milk to reach your desired level of consistency.
- Pour the glaze over your cooled zucchini bread. This glaze works for other pastries, rolls, and cakes as well.
- Sprinkle some raisins on top if you wish.
If you want to take your zucchini bread to a new level, try topping it with this indulgent cream cheese frosting!
The thick and creamy texture of this frosting perfectly complements the flavor of your bread. It’s perfect for Sunday brunch, Valentine’s Day, or a special breakfast in bed.
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp. of softened butter
- 2.5 to 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 8 oz. of softened cream cheese
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- Toasted pecan halves (optional)
- Mix butter and cream cheese in a bowl until they’re pale and fluffy.
- Next, add your vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Whip for three to four more minutes until the mixture is fluffy.
- Wait for your zucchini bread to cool before coating it with the frosting.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar or toasted pecan halves on the frosted bread if you want. Done!
Zucchini bread is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth in a healthy way. You can make this delicious dish even yummier by coating it with cream cheese frosting, maple glaze topping, or chocolate chip streusel.
Hopefully, you now have a list of wonderful zucchini bread toppings that you would like to try. Always remember to let your bread cool down completely before adding in your choice of glaze or frosting.
We hope you enjoy your zucchini bread—toppings and all. Have a loaf-ly day!
Sarah is the founder of Baking Kneads, LLC, a blog sharing guides, tips, and recipes for those learning how to bake. Growing up as the daughter of a baker, she spent much of her childhood learning the basics in a local bakery.