So, you’ve found your favorite carrot cake mix on sale and ended up buying too many? I’ve been there!
Carrot cake is one of my all-time favorite desserts. Still, no matter how delicious it is, my kids and I want to change things up from time to time.
I went bananas with the cake mix, trying every recipe that came to mind. And let me tell you that some of these recipes were unbelievably delicious.
Stack up your cart with carrot cake mix, as I’ll tell you about the four best recipes you can make with it. Let’s jump into the details.
Yes! You read that right. You can make carrot-y cookies with a boxed mix, and you won’t believe how delicious they’ll turn out to be.
This is one of my favorite recipes for a reason. The mixture of warm spices in a soft cookie with a tangy frosting is out of this world.
I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible. So, I went with basic ingredients you’ll probably find in your kitchen.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- A box of carrot cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 16 ounces of cream cheese frosting
- Sprinkles (optional)
If you don’t have cream cheese frosting, you can make some using these ingredients:
- ½ cup of butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
To make the perfect carrot cake cookies, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 350°F. While the oven warms up, you can prepare the cookies by following these steps:
- Add the carrot cake mix to a bowl.
- Add the eggs and blend them at medium speed.
- After that, grab a cookie scoop or measure about two tablespoons of dough.
- Then, place your cookie balls on a silicon mat or parchment paper two inches apart.
- Finally, bake the cookies for 7 to 10 minutes, or until they become light brown.
While your cookies are becoming crispy and chewy, you can prepare the cream cheese frosting.
Here are the steps you need to follow to prepare a smooth and tangy frosting:
- Start by softening the butter.
- Then, put it in a bowl and add the cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Next, beat the ingredients together with a mixer until it’s smooth and creamy.
- After that, add the confectioners’ sugar gradually while mixing the ingredients.
After your cookies are perfectly golden, let them cool for at least 15 minutes. Then, spread the frosting onto the cookies in even layers.
I love finishing off this recipe with some orange sprinkles on top! If you want some extra sweetness, you can replace the sprinkles with candied carrots.
This is one of my kids’ favorite snacks, and I don’t blame them! These bars have layers of toasted coconuts, nuts, dried fruits, and a delicious cake.
The carro-nut bars recipe might be a little complex, but believe me, it’s worth it!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for the carrot cake mix:
- Carrot cake mix
- Cream cheese
- Condensed milk (sweetened)
- Softened butter
- White chocolate chips
- Dried pineapple
- Sweetened coconuts
- Pecans and almonds
Let’s kick things off by letting your oven preheat to 350°F. Meanwhile, you can proceed with the following steps to prepare the delicious carro-nut bars:
- First, mix the packaged cake, eggs, and softened butter in a large bowl with your mixer. You want to create a smooth, thick batter.
- Second, apply a nonstick cooking spray to your pan.
- After that, pour the mixture into the pan.
- Next, pat the mixture evenly using a silicone spatula.
- Layer your nuts, white chocolate, and dried fruits on top of the batter.
- Grab another large bowl and beat the cream cheese at medium speed.
- Then, add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto the cake carefully and spread it out.
- Finally, add the coconuts on top and press it down slightly using a silicone spatula.
Typically, this recipe takes around 30 to 40 minutes in the oven. But you might want to check on it after 20 minutes. If the coconut is golden brown, it’s time to bring them out!
Remember: you should let the recipe cool before cutting it. For me, I like cutting it into small squares that fit in my bag.
This way, I can take it to work or any place I go. However, the bars can be a little sticky, so make sure to use plastic wrap.
Who doesn’t love cake pops? These tiny treats are super easy to make, and your kids will love them!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make carrot cake pops:
- A box of carrot cake mix
- Candy melts
When it comes to frosting, you can use a store-bought one, but I prefer preparing my own recipe.
It shouldn’t take more than three minutes to make a perfect bowl of frosting. Just mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
- ½ cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 3 drops of food coloring (optional)
To start, you’ll need to prepare the carrot cake by following the instructions on the box. It should be easy and simple. Then, let your carrot cake cool off before proceeding with the following steps:
- Start by crumbling your carrot cake into a large ball.
- Then, mix some of the frosting into the cake.
- After that, cover and refrigerate the mixture until it’s slightly cool.
- Next, put on your gloves and roll the cake into small-sized balls.
- Put your little balls on a baking sheet and microwave the candy melts according to the package instructions.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each ball.
- Dip each ball into the melted candy carefully and add some sprinkles on top.
- Place your cake pops upright in a styrofoam block and put them in the refrigerator until they harden.
If you love cupcakes like I do, you’ll enjoy this recipe! It’s super easy to make, and it tastes heavenly, especially with your morning coffee.
With Halloween around the corner, I tried adding pumpkin to this recipe, and it worked like magic. So, the recipe will still be good without it, but it’s a great addition that you must try.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for the carrot cupcake recipe:
- A box of carrot cake mix
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of toasted, chopped pecans
Before you prepare the recipe, preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, you can follow these steps to make the most delicious cupcakes:
- Prepare your cake mixture as you’d normally do, and add the pumpkin and cinnamon while whisking.
- After the mixture becomes smooth, add the raisins and pecans.
- Then, add the batter to your muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for around 20 minutes.
- Let them cool off before adding your frosting on top.
There are many things you can make with carrot cake mix. Although they’ll taste slightly similar, as they all have the same base, you’ll notice a lot of differences in the texture and overall flavor.
So, grab some of these packaged mixes on sale, as you have tons of recipes to try.
Sarah is the founder of Baking Kneads, LLC, a blog sharing guides, tips, and recipes for those learning how to bake. Growing up as the daughter of a baker, she spent much of her childhood learning the basics in a local bakery.