Are you wondering if you can you make an apple pie ahead of time? Yes, you can make an apple pie in advance, and there are two ways to do that.
The first method is to fully bake and store the pie. Then, warm it at serving time.
The second one is to prepare the pie components and chill or freeze them separately. When it’s baking time, assemble the components.
In this post, we’ll walk you through how to use both methods. More importantly, we’ll offer you tips and tricks for each of them.
Here are the two ways you can use to make an apple pie in advance:
You can prepare and bake your favorite apple pie ahead of time and store it until serving time. However, the best way to store it depends on the storage place.
Cover it loosely with plastic wrap and leave it in its container if you’ll store the pie at room temperature.
Similarly, if you keep it in the refrigerator, cover it loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
On the other hand, if you choose to freeze it, follow these steps:
- Place it in a ceramic or metal pie dish.
- Wrap it in three or four layers of plastic wrap.
- Cover it with another layer of aluminum foil.
- Place it in a resealable bag and put it in the freezer.
You can prepare the pie ingredients and chill or freeze them. That way, they’ll be ready for quick assembly and baking without further preparation.
Here’s how to prepare the pie’s two main components:
You can use your traditional recipe to prepare a make-ahead pie crust. However, you’ll need two additional steps to store it.
- Roll it out the dough on a freezer-safe pie plate.
- Put it in a freezer bag and place it in the refrigerator or the freezer.
You should use it within 2–3 days if you chill it in the refrigerator. Conversely, you can keep it for three months if you freeze it.
Like pastry, you can prepare apple pie filling and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you need it.
To do so, make your traditional apple pie filling and add ½ tablespoon of cornstarch.
Allow it to rest until it reaches room temperature. Then, follow these steps:
- Put foil in a pie pan and let it hang over the edges, then pour the filling inside.
- Place the pan in the freezer until the filling becomes firm.
- Take the filling out of the freezer and place it in a jar or other airtight container.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for four days.
- Alternatively, you can position it in zip-top bags and freeze it for up to three months.
To serve your make-ahead apple pie, follow these simple steps:
Transfer the pie from the freezer to the refrigerator and leave it overnight before serving.
When it’s serving time, warm it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 375 F.
To prepare the unbaked pie, follow these steps:
- Get the frozen ingredients out of the freezer and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Allow the chilled ingredients to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before baking.
- Fill the crust with the pie filling.
- Top it with another crust.
- Bake at the temperature of your chosen recipe.
- Add an extra 20 to 45 minutes to the regular baking time of your selected recipe.
The time you can make an apple pie in advance depends on how you’ll store it. If you store it at room temperature, you can make it two days ahead.
If you keep it in the refrigerator, you can make it four days in advance. That said, you can extend its storage time up to three months if you put it in the freezer.
Can you make an apple pie ahead of time? Yes, you can.
You can choose between two methods to do that. The first is to bake the pie as usual but store it to warm and serve it later.
The second way is to prepare the components and assemble them quickly when you want to bake the pie.
Sarah is the founder of Baking Kneads, LLC, a blog sharing guides, tips, and recipes for those learning how to bake. Growing up as the daughter of a baker, she spent much of her childhood learning the basics in a local bakery.