What’s the solution for satisfying the craving for a classic French toast when you can’t consume eggs? You might be allergic to eggs, intolerant to them, or maybe you just ran out this morning!
The solution is simple: remove the eggs.
Would that be possible? Will French toast without eggs have the same crispiness around the edges while remaining fluffy and sweet on the inside?
The answer is still yes, and this article will show you how to do just that.
The secret to a perfect eggless French toast lies in the ingredients. While cornstarch is a substitute for eggs that would preserve that “eggy” texture and flavor, custard powder or black salt may do the trick.
Below is the list of ingredients, as well as recommendations, for a scrumptious and fluffy eggless French toast:
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or custard powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black salt (for eggy texture but you can use regular salt to enhance the flavor)
- 2 tbsp butter or 2 tbsp of vegetable oil for grilling
- A pinch of cinnamon powder (optional for extra flavor)
- Favorite toppings
Here are more substitute ingredients with additional information for your preference:
We recommend using whole or full-fat cow’s milk, as skim milk may ruin the texture of your toast. You can, however, use almond milk, coconut milk, or any plant-based milk for a dairy-free breakfast.
Cornstarch is going to hold the recipe together as a substitute for the eggs. It would bring out the crispiness of the edges of the toast. If you have no cornstarch available, custard powder will do the job.
The star of the dish is the bread itself. Thick slices of bread are ideal, as thinly sliced ones will absorb too much of the batter and break once you try flipping it. The key is buying thick slices of loaves for about ½ inch.
If you only have fresh or sandwich bread in stock, then no worries, we’ll make them work. Try toasting them beforehand in an oven or a skillet. Just remember that they won’t have the same flavor as a brioche or stale bread.
You can choose between unsalted or salted. This is to bring out the buttery flavor of the toast and the mouth-watering golden exterior. For dairy-free French toast, you can use vegan butter as an alternative.
Vanilla extracts impart a subtle vanilla flavor for an even tastier French toast. We recommend using vanilla extract as it’s the lesser processed ingredient with a purer flavor.
However, if you’ve run out of vanilla extract and only have a vanilla essence on hand, that would do just fine.
- 1 tbsp of chocolate or cocoa powder for a rich gooey flavor
- Gingerbread spice or pumpkin spice in substitute for the cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of nutmeg powder for optimal taste
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp of sugar or powdered sugar for more sweetness
Making egg-free French toast is achievable even if you’re no professional cook. With this classic and easy-to-prepare dish, all you need are the right ingredients and instructions to follow.
- In a shallow dish, mix your ½ cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of custard powder (if not cornstarch) with a fork, ensuring no lumps are visible in the batter
- Add your 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract with a pinch of cinnamon powder and black salt
- Heat your non-stick pan with the butter or your choice of dairy-free alternative oil on low heat
- Take your bread and soak it in the batter on both sides—be sure not to leave it too long in the mixture as it will get soggy and break apart
- Transfer the bread to the pan on medium heat for grilling for an even and golden crust
- Wait for 3–4 minutes, then flip your toast
- For fluffier insides of the toast, lower the heat and cover with the pan
- Once your eggless French toast is crusty and golden on both sides, scoop it out of the pan and onto a plate
- Prepare your fresh toast with an assortment of your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Just like regular French toast, an eggless French toast can’t be complete without its toppings! You can pick from a variety of toppings depending on your preference.
You can add all the recommended toppings below or pick between two ingredients.
Whipped creams are a favorite topping that goes well with drinks and desserts. It gives a more fluffy texture to your toast on the first bite while enjoying the foamy sweetness.
Here are some of the best syrups: maple, honey, blueberry, strawberry, cinnamon, and caramel syrups. You can even go with chocolate syrup on top of whipped cream.
For the usual go-to fruit toppings, you can choose from sliced bananas, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries; whatever you prefer!
A drizzle of this sugary sweetness can go on top of all the toppings! A cherry-on-top to finish the perfect eggless French toast. You can go with the signature powdered sugar, or for a distinct flavor rich in antioxidant—cinnamon powder.
An optional topping that goes well with your scrumptious toast drizzled with maple syrup. It adds a creaminess to balance the sweetness of your toast.
For more crunch and chewiness, add bits of nuts like pecans, almonds, walnuts, and pistachios.
Chocolates are never out of style. You could try grating your favorite chocolate bar onto your french toast or sprinkling regular chocolate chips on top of whipped cream.
Did you know you could spice up your egg-free French toast by adding sliced cheese or Nutella as a spread? Well now, you do! Here’s how you could do it.
The methods and ingredients are the same as cooking eggless French toast. Only this time, you’re going to add a slice of cheese between two loaves before dipping it in the batter. The steps are:
- Prepare a cheese sandwich by simply adding any type of sliced cheese between the two bread
- Dip the sandwich in the batter, coating both sides
- Grill it in a pan with melted butter for 2 minutes on both sides
- Scoop out of the frying pan and top it with grated cheese or a topping of your choice
For chocolate lovers brimming with gooey sweetness, try a chocolate egg-free toast! Using the same ingredients and methods, the steps are:
- Make a chocolate sandwich by simply adding chocolate spread (preferably Nutella)
- Dip the sandwich in the batter that’s mixed with 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, coating both sides of the bread
- Grill it in a pan with melted butter for 2 minutes on both sides
- Scoop out of the frying pan and top it with grated chocolate or a topping of your choice
Simply wrap your toast individually in an aluminum foil to keep the moisture, then keep them in a resealable bag. You can place the toast in the freezer for 2 months.
When you’re ready to take them out, reheat your frozen toast in an oven for 350°F by placing them on a wire rack lined with a baking sheet. Leave it baking for 5–10 minutes, flipping it once to heat both sides. When all is ready, serve hot and enjoy!
A breakfast life isn’t complete without a classic French toast. So, if you can’t consume eggs, then remove them! Our guide offers the perfect substitute ingredients to cook delicious French toast without eggs.
There are more ways to cook your eggless French toast than simply removing the eggs. You could try using healthy ingredients or go creative with your dish. Just remember to keep it simple and tasty!
Sarah is the founder of Baking Kneads, LLC, a blog sharing guides, tips, and recipes for those learning how to bake. Growing up as the daughter of a baker, she spent much of her childhood learning the basics in a local bakery.